What It Takes To Be A Responsible Pet Parent
Author: Monica Reyes
My life is definitely full of responsibilities. I juggle being a full-time student and working as a Raw Pet Food Specialist for a natural healthy dog food company - all the while raising a 2-year old son and caring for both a 6-year old cat and our new 8-month old puppy. (Sounds like a lot to take on? Well it sure can be at times!)
Yet, out of all of the responsibilities and obligations that I have, being a parent is the most important to me. After all, my son, my dog, and my cat all depend on me to provide them with a safe and comfortable lifestyle. They are the reason why I work so hard to maintain a healthy life for my entire family. I feel it’s important to make sure to provide them with healthy foods, exercise and of course, plenty of fun mixed in.
Although I am constantly busy with mommy-duties, I always make time to spend with my little furry ones. Being a pet parent is not just a title - it is an important role filled with responsibilities. Keeping my pup, Mookie happy and healthy is paramount to being a good dog mom. That’s why I started Mookie as a young pup on the BARF Diet. I knew that giving her natural healthy dog food was going to contribute to her overall well-being and active lifestyle.
There are many more factors besides good dog nutrition to consider when ensuring a healthy life for your pet:
- Proper training and a daily routine for you and your dog helps make day-to-day life run more smoothly for the entire family.
- Maintaining a healthy and sanitary environment is also important. I make it a priority to keep Mookie’s bedding and play area clean using diatomaceous earth on her bedding and in the yard. Diatomaceous earth not only keeps the fleas and ticks away; it also keeps my prized flower garden free of pests without the use of harsh chemicals or insecticides that may otherwise harm my kids.
- Along with maintaining a healthy environment for your family, it is equally important to remain prepared for accidents or other mishaps that can happen (because as any parent knows, accidents WILL happen from time to time). This includes cuts, scrapes, sprains and even tummy upset. A good thing to ALWAYS have on hand is a well-stocked first aid kit. The K-911 First Aid Kit is perfect for my multi-species family since everything in it is natural, safe, effective and works for both people and pets too.
I’ve learned that having a furry friend (or two) as part of your family can help to teach our children and us important life lessons. Mookie has taught me to be more understanding and to appreciate the small things. Whether I am relaxing with her in the backyard, or watching my little boy chase her around in the park, Mookie is an absolute joy to have around. So knowing that I am enabling her to have a long and healthy life is extremely empowering as a parent.
About Monica Reyes
Monica Reyes is a Raw Pet Food Specialist for BARF World Inc. She is a full-time student and working mom to a young toddler, a terrier mix named Mookie and a tabby cat named Phillip. Monica enjoys healthy home cooking and spending quality time with her family.
Pet Travel Blog
- Blog Home
- Air Travel with Pets (7)
- Car Travel with Pets (21)
- Dog Training and Behavior (9)
- Dog Treat Recipes (3)
- International Pet Travel (2)
- Moving with your Pet (6)
- Pet Friendly Activities (27)
- Pet Friendly Apartments (4)
- Pet Friendly Day Trips (6)
- Pet Friendly Hotels (35)
- Pet Health and Safety (14)
- Pet Products (4)
- Pet Travel (14)
- Pet Travel Tips (10)
- Press Releases (8)
- Talkin with Tucker (3)