If you're looking for a real "pack" pleaser, then you can't go wrong with these peanut butter and banana dog treats. These treats were inspired by my dog Charlie (a.k.a. Choo Choo Charlie) who goes nuts at the sight of a banana - that's how much he loves them. And peanut butter, well - forget about it!
We made these for the first time last year when we were invited to spend Thanksgiving with friends (and their dogs) in Florida. They were a such a hit that we ended up making more for the road trip back home to North Carolina. Give 'em a try - they're super easy and super yummy!
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour (I use Bob's Red Mil)
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats*
- 6 tablespoons all natural peanut butter (no sweeteners)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine mashed bananas, flour, oats, peanut butter, and eggs
- Let it firm up in fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll into 3/4" balls and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Press the balls to flatten them out into a circular shape (I use the bottom of a teaspoon or press and criss-cross with fork).
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until firm/almost crisp (they will crisp up more once cooled).
- Cool and refrigerate in airtight container.
* Oatmeal itself does not contain gluten, since it is not a wheat product. However, not all oatmeal is gluten-free as it can be cross-contaminated during processing, particularly in facilities that also process wheat, rye, and other gluten-containing grains. So, for truly gluten-free oats, be sure it says gluten-free on the label.
Charlie and his siblings (Tucker and Brownie) packaged up some treats and they're on their way to cousin Spooky in Williamsville, NY! Enjoy Spooky Spook Spooks!